BREAKING NEWS
Advertise with us >

Cristiano Ronaldo reportedly set to marry Georgina Rodriguez on Aug 8

Cristiano Ronaldo

LISBON: Star footballer Cristiano Ronaldo is reportedly set to marry his longtime partner, Georgina Rodríguez, in Portugal later this week, according to foreign media reports.

Reports said the couple is expected to tie the knot on Aug. 8 on the Portuguese island of Madeira, Ronaldo’s birthplace, where he spent his childhood. However, neither Ronaldo nor Rodríguez has officially confirmed the wedding plans.

According to a British magazine, the wedding ceremony is expected to take place at Funchal Cathedral before guests attend a reception at a luxury five-star hotel.

The report also said two floors of the hotel and several bars will be closed on Friday and Saturday, fueling speculation that the venue is being prepared for the couple’s wedding celebrations.

Portuguese media had previously reported that Ronaldo planned to marry after the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

Ronaldo and Rodríguez first met in 2016 and announced their engagement in August 2025. The couple have five children together. Ronaldo has previously said that his eldest daughter played an important role in encouraging him to propose to Rodríguez.

Former Test captain Younis Khan wants to contribute to Pakistan cricket

Former Test

KARACHI: Former Pakistan Test captain and legendary batsman Younis Khan has said he wants to play his role in the development and stability of Pakistan cricket, stressing that he does not seek power but needs the freedom to work effectively.

Speaking to media during the inauguration ceremony of the Younis Khan Academy at KHA Legend Arena in Gulshan-e-Iqbal, Karachi, Younis said he wanted to discover and nurture talented cricketers from the city.

“I do not need power; I only want to contribute to the progress of Pakistan cricket. Whatever responsibility I take, I should not be restricted,” Younis said.

He added that the academy would help produce talented players who could represent Pakistan at the highest level. He said his aim was to serve the country through cricket and help Pakistan regain a top position in the sport.

Younis clarified that seeking a role in cricket administration was not about authority but about having an independent working environment. He said he wanted to build a team that could take effective steps for the promotion and strengthening of cricket.

Recalling his journey, Younis said that although he originally belonged to Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, he spent most of his life in Karachi and had strong ties with the city’s Malir area. He recalled travelling on bus rooftops during his early days to pursue cricket and credited former Test captain Rashid Latif for his guidance and support.

Younis said he had never believed in politics or manipulation but had always raised his voice for truth and fairness. He added that everyone should contribute to Karachi’s development and that he wanted to bring forward hidden cricket talent from the city to help serve Pakistan in the future.

FIFA withdraws ‘FIFA Forward Enterprise’ project after concerns

FIFA withdraws

ZURICH: FIFA President Gianni Infantino has announced the withdrawal of the proposed “FIFA Forward Enterprise” project, saying the initiative had created divisions within football and was no longer in the best interest of the sport.

In a statement, Infantino said the project was dependent on securing support from the majority of FIFA member associations. After considering the views of all stakeholders, FIFA decided not to proceed with the proposal.

The FIFA president said the organisation’s mission has always been to promote unity and improve football globally.

He added that FIFA would work to bring all relevant parties back to the discussion table and continue its efforts to develop football in countries in need.

Infantino confirmed that the FIFA Forward Enterprise project has been officially abandoned and that no further progress would be made on the proposals.

The announcement came after FIFA faced criticism and objections over the proposed project, prompting the governing body to issue clarifications regarding its objectives and structure.

Eight climbers found dead after Broad Peak avalanche

Eight climbers

SKARDU: Rescue teams have recovered the bodies of eight climbers who went missing after an avalanche struck Broad Peak, the world’s 12th-highest mountain in Pakistan’s Karakoram range, while the search continued Saturday for two others still unaccounted for.

Authorities said four more bodies were located during the latest phase of the rescue operation, bringing the total number of recovered climbers to eight.

Three of the bodies recovered earlier were transported by helicopter to Skardu, while efforts to retrieve the remaining victims continued in the difficult high-altitude terrain.

Gilgit-Baltistan Tourism Minister Neiknam Karim said authorities were making every possible effort to locate the two missing climbers, adding that the provincial tourism department was providing logistical support to search and rescue teams.

The international expedition included climbers from the United States, China, Nepal and Oman, as well as Pakistani mountaineer Sohail Sakhi. Several members of the team were reported missing after the avalanche struck Broad Peak earlier this week.

Broad Peak, which rises 8,047 meters (26,401 feet) above sea level in the Karakoram mountain range, is one of Pakistan’s five peaks exceeding 8,000 meters and is regarded as one of the world’s most challenging high-altitude climbing destinations.

UEFA threatens FIFA boycott over proposed World Cup investment plan

UEFA threatens

NYON, Switzerland: UEFA has threatened to boycott FIFA competitions, including the FIFA World Cup, if the governing body moves forward with a proposal to sell a stake in its commercial operations to private investors.

According to UEFA, its member associations unanimously agreed during an online meeting that European national teams would not participate in FIFA tournaments unless the proposal is withdrawn and FIFA guarantees it will not introduce private ownership into its competitions or governance structure.

In a statement, UEFA said the World Cup is “a historic football legacy” built by generations of players, national teams and supporters, arguing that it should not be treated as an investment asset or partially transferred to private investors.

The dispute follows a proposal backed by FIFA President Gianni Infantino to separate FIFA’s commercial business under a plan reportedly valued at $20 billion, with 20% of the commercial entity potentially being sold to private investors. The proposal also reportedly includes a $20 million payment to each FIFA member association, with a decision expected by mid-September.

The Asian Football Confederation (AFC) also expressed reservations about the proposal. AFC President Sheikh Salman bin Ibrahim Al Khalifa criticized FIFA for advancing the plan without sufficient consultation, saying it could weaken the existing structure of global football. Infantino has maintained that private investment is only an option rather than a mandatory policy, but the proposal has sparked strong opposition from football organizations worldwide.

Messi yet to decide international future after World Cup defeat

Messi yet

BUENOS AIRES: Speculation over Lionel Messi’s international future has intensified following Argentina’s defeat to Spain in the 2026 FIFA World Cup final, with reports suggesting the Argentine Football Association is considering organizing a farewell match for the football icon.

The 39-year-old captain enjoyed another standout World Cup campaign, finishing with eight goals and four assists to rank among the tournament’s top scorers.

However, the final defeat has fueled questions about whether he will retire from international football.

Argentine media reports say Messi is expected to remain with the national team for the next few months to help ease the transition to a new generation of players, but he is not planning to compete at the next FIFA World Cup.

The reports also say the Argentine Football Association (AFA) is considering staging a special farewell match to honor Messi’s contributions to the national team.

Former Argentina winger Ángel Di María has urged Messi to delay any retirement decision, saying age should not determine the veteran’s future because he remains one of the world’s best players.

Midfielder Leandro Paredes also expressed hope that Messi will continue representing Argentina but said the final decision rests with the eight-time Ballon d’Or winner.

Cristiano Ronaldo earned about $570 minute last year

Cristiano Ronaldo

LISBON: Cristiano Ronaldo may have fallen short of winning a FIFA World Cup with Portugal, but the football superstar continues to rank among the world’s highest-paid athletes, earning an estimated $570 per minute over the past year, according to Forbes.

The business magazine estimates Ronaldo’s net worth has reached $1.2 billion, placing him among the wealthiest athletes in history. Forbes said the Portugal captain earned about $300 million over the past year, equivalent to roughly $570 every minute.

A significant portion of Ronaldo’s income comes from his contract with Saudi Pro League club Al Nassr, which he joined in 2023 and renewed in 2025. According to the report, the deal is worth more than $200 million annually.

Beyond his football salary, Ronaldo generates substantial revenue through endorsement deals, business investments and his extensive social media presence, making him one of the world’s most commercially successful athletes.

Although Portugal did not win the most recent FIFA World Cup  a tournament widely viewed as potentially Ronaldo’s last  the 41-year-old has not announced his retirement from international football.

FIFA names team of tournament for 2026 World Cup

FIFA

ZURICH: FIFA has announced its official Team of the Tournament following the conclusion of the 2026 FIFA World Cup, with newly crowned champions Spain contributing the most players to the Best XI.

The 4-3-3 lineup features players from seven countries who delivered standout performances during the tournament, which was co-hosted by the United States, Canada, and Mexico.

Spain leads the selections with defenders Marc Cucurella and Pedro Porro, along with midfielder Rodri, all of whom played key roles in the country’s World Cup triumph.

Runners-up Argentina are represented by captain Lionel Messi in the forward line and defender Lisandro Martínez. France has three players in the team Kylian Mbappé, Michael Olise, and Dayot Upamecano—while England’s Jude Bellingham earned a place in midfield.

The lineup is completed by Erling Haaland of Norway as the central striker and Cape Verde goalkeeper Vozinha, whose impressive performances earned him a place in FIFA’s Team of the Tournament.

Pakistan plans seven-batter lineup for first Test against West Indies

Pakistan plans

TRINIDAD: Pakistan’s team management has begun finalizing its playing XI for the opening Test against the West Indies, with plans to field seven specialist batters in the series opener, according to sources.

The likely lineup includes Azan Awais, Imam-ul-Haq, Shan Masood, Babar Azam, and Mohammad Rizwan, while Salman Ali Agha is also expected to feature and provide the team with a fifth bowling option.

Sources said Aamir Jamal and Mohammad Abbas are likely to retain their places in the XI, while left-arm spinner Ali Usman is in line to make his Test debut. One of Khurram Shahzad or Mohammad Ali is expected to complete the pace attack.

The team management has also advised the bowlers to improve their batting, with the final playing XI to be confirmed after assessing the players’ fitness ahead of the match.

The first Test between Pakistan and the West Indies begins on Saturday at the Brian Lara Cricket Academy in Trinidad, where curators have prepared a grass-covered pitch featuring brown grass instead of the traditional green surface.

Meanwhile, Pakistan and the West Indies  unveiled the trophy for their upcoming Test series ahead of the opening match at the Brian Lara Cricket Academy.

Pakistan captain Babar Azam and West Indies captain Roston Chase took part in the trophy unveiling ceremony, posing with the silverware at the venue where the first Test will be played.

The opening Test of the series is scheduled to begin on July 25, with both teams aiming for a strong start in the two-match contest.

175 World Cup visitors apply for asylum in Canada, officials say

175 World Cup

OTTAWA: A total of 175 foreign nationals who traveled to Canada to attend FIFA World Cup matches have applied for asylum, according to Canadian authorities.

Canada hosted 13 World Cup matches and issued approximately 26,000 visitor visas for the tournament. Officials said more than half of all visa applications received for the event were rejected.

Authorities said the 175 asylum claims will be assessed individually under Canada’s immigration and refugee laws. They did not disclose how many of the applicants, if any, were football players or members of official delegations.

Available government data showed that 25 applicants are Ghanaian nationals, while 15 each are from Egypt and Colombia. Officials added that the number of asylum applications could increase as more claims are submitted.

Before the tournament, the Canadian government warned that visitor visas issued for the FIFA World Cup could not be used as a pathway to permanent residence or guaranteed asylum. It said all protection claims would be evaluated solely in accordance with Canadian law.