BREAKING NEWS
Advertise with us >

Three football confederations challenge FIFA leadership

Three football

GENEVA: Three major football confederations have publicly criticised FIFA leadership, accusing it of a serious failure in decision-making and a breach of trust over an attempt to sell a share of World Cup commercial rights.

The Asian Football Confederation (AFC), European football’s governing body UEFA, and the Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) issued a joint open letter expressing strong reservations over the proposal.

The letter was signed by AFC President Salman bin Ibrahim Al Khalifa, CONCACAF President Victor Montagliani, UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin, and the three confederations’ general secretaries.

The confederations said the dispute was not about money but about football’s integrity and the responsibility of those entrusted with leading the sport.

They said football leadership was a responsibility granted by the global football community and not the personal property of any individual.

The three bodies criticised FIFA’s handling of the proposal to sell a stake in World Cup commercial rights, saying it was pushed forward within a limited timeframe without meaningful consultation with member associations.

They argued that FIFA had described the issue as a failure of communication, while they viewed it as a failure of governance and decision-making.

The confederations said FIFA failed to acknowledge that the proposal itself was fundamentally flawed and called the move a serious breach of trust with football stakeholders.

They also objected to FIFA’s plan for an internal review, demanding a fully independent investigation by an external third party. The confederations said FIFA officials, staff members or football stakeholders involved in the matter should not play any role in the inquiry.

The letter called for the preservation of all relevant documents and records related to the proposal.

The AFC, UEFA and CONCACAF also raised concerns over a recent FIFA meeting in Morocco, claiming that only one elected official attended while FIFA Council members and member associations were not invited.

They said the selection of only certain management committee members for an overseas meeting added to concerns surrounding the decision-making process.

The confederations clarified that their objections were not against financial growth or previous collective decisions made by football authorities, including World Cup expansions and funding programmes for member nations.

They said the development of football over the past decade was the result of collective efforts by FIFA, confederations, member associations and thousands of people involved in the sport.

The three organisations stressed that FIFA’s financial resources should be used responsibly for the development of member countries but said the current dispute was about transparency, accountability and leadership standards.

They concluded by calling for unity in football, saying leadership should serve the sport rather than seek to control it.

Lionel Messi’s father Jorge Messi dies at 68 after battle with cancer

Lionel Messi

ROSARIO: Jorge Messi, father of Argentina football legend Lionel Messi, passed away at the age of 68 in his hometown of Rosario on Friday evening, August 7.

According to local media reports, Jorge Messi had been battling pancreatic cancer. News of his serious health condition emerged during the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

Jorge Messi was widely regarded as a key figure in shaping his son’s football career, supporting Lionel Messi from his teenage years and later playing an important role in his journey to becoming one of the greatest players in football history.

He managed his son’s career as an advisor and was reportedly involved in major career decisions, including Messi’s moves from Barcelona to Paris Saint-Germain and later to Inter Miami.

Jorge Messi recently appeared during Argentina’s opening World Cup match against Algeria, where Lionel Messi scored a hat-trick and became emotional after the game.

Reflecting on the emotional moment, Messi said: “It had nothing to do with sports; I’ve been through some difficult and complicated days.”

The Messi family has not yet issued an official statement regarding Jorge Messi’s death.

Calls grow for FIFA President Infantino to step down

Calls grow

OSLO: Opposition against FIFA President Gianni Infantino has intensified, with the Norwegian Football Federation calling for him to resign, while UEFA has warned of a possible boycott of FIFA competitions.

Norwegian Football Federation President Lise Klaveness said Infantino had lost the confidence of the football community and should no longer continue leading world football’s governing body.

Klaveness said FIFA needed to focus on effective governance and reforms rather than becoming involved in power struggles. She emphasized the need for greater transparency and accountability within the organization.

Meanwhile, UEFA has maintained its stance that European teams could boycott FIFA competitions unless guarantees are provided that the ownership or management of major tournaments, including the World Cup, will not be transferred to private investors.

However, Infantino has received support from the football federations of Mexico and Argentina, while the Confederation of African Football (CAF) has also backed his leadership unanimously.

The South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL) did not directly support or oppose Infantino but expressed concerns over unilateral decision-making processes.

PCB issues NOCs to national cricketers for foreign leagues

PCB issues

LAHORE: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has issued No Objection Certificates (NOCs) to several national cricketers, allowing them to participate in overseas leagues.

The PCB has granted NOCs to Hasan Nawaz, Hunain Shah, Naseem Shah and Usman Khan for the Caribbean Premier League (CPL). NOCs have also been issued to Muaz Sadaqat, Sahibzada Farhan, Sufiyan Muqeem and Shadab Khan for participation in the tournament.

The players have been granted permission to play in the CPL from August 19 to September 21.

Meanwhile, spinner Noman Ali has received an NOC to represent Lancashire County until September 27.

Wicketkeeper-batter Mohammad Haris has been granted permission for the CPL from August 7 to September 20, while mystery spinner Usman Tariq will be available for the tournament from August 8 to September 18.

All-rounder Usama Mir has also been issued an NOC for the CPL from August 7 to September 21.

The PCB’s decision allows national players to gain international league experience while managing their availability for Pakistan’s upcoming cricket commitments.

UEFA maintains FIFA boycott despite Infantino’s withdrawal of plan

UEFA maintains

GENEVA: European football’s governing body UEFA said its member associations will continue their boycott of FIFA competitions despite FIFA President Gianni Infantino reversing his decision to pursue the sale of minority stakes in the organization’s commercial assets.

In a statement, UEFA said its 55 member associations remain committed to withdrawing from FIFA events, stressing that the world football governing body has not accepted the conditions set by European football authorities.

UEFA had unanimously voted to consider withdrawing from FIFA competitions after Infantino announced plans to seek private investment in the commercial rights of the World Cup and other major events.

Facing growing pressure, Infantino later abandoned the proposal and received support from FIFA leadership during a meeting in Morocco. However, UEFA said the withdrawal of the plan was only one of several conditions required to restore cooperation.

The European body said additional demands linked to participation in FIFA competitions remain unresolved, adding that its position on the boycott has not changed.

Infantino gains African backing as FIFA leadership criticism continues

Infantino gains

ZURICH: FIFA President Gianni Infantino received a major boost in his bid for a fourth term after the Confederation of African Football (CAF) unanimously expressed support for his leadership, while criticism from European football authorities continued.

CAF, which represents 54 member associations and is one of FIFA’s largest voting blocs, endorsed Infantino’s leadership, a move seen as a significant political gain for the FIFA president ahead of the next election.

However, the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) reiterated that it still lacks confidence in Infantino’s leadership.

UEFA said its position had not changed despite FIFA withdrawing a controversial proposal involving private investment in the commercial rights of the World Cup and other major events. The European body said FIFA had not provided guarantees that similar decisions would not be pursued in the future.

FIFA has apologized to its 211 member associations over the handling of the investment proposal, acknowledging flaws in the decision-making process and promising a comprehensive review.

Meanwhile, the South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL) expressed concerns over unilateral decision-making and called for greater transparency and institutional reforms within FIFA.

Brock Lesnar announces retirement from professional wrestling

Brock Lesnar

STAMFORD, Conn.: WWE legend Brock Lesnar has announced his retirement from professional wrestling at the age of 49, bringing an end to one of the most decorated careers in sports entertainment.

Lesnar made the announcement during an appearance on The Pat McAfee Show, days after losing to Oba Femi in the WWE SummerSlam: Hell in a Cell match. Following the defeat, Lesnar praised Femi as “the future of WWE.”

“I came here today to tell the world and everyone that I am retired,” Lesnar said, thanking fans for their support throughout his career.

The former WWE and UFC heavyweight champion said he plans to focus on his family and support his children in pursuing their athletic careers.

Lesnar had previously hinted at retirement after his loss to Oba Femi by leaving his boots and cap in the ring, a symbolic gesture often associated with retirement in professional wrestling. His announcement has prompted an outpouring of tributes from wrestling fans.

Pakistan beat West Indies by 8 wickets to draw Test series 1-1

Pakistan

PORT OF SPAIN: Pakistan defeated the West Indies by eight wickets in the second Test on Thursday, leveling the two-match series 1-1 and ending a run of eight consecutive away Test defeats.

Chasing a modest target of 75, Pakistan reached 76-2, with Abdullah Shafique and captain Babar Azam remaining unbeaten on 24 runs each. Earlier, Imam-ul-Haq scored 9, while Azan Awais made 18.

Pakistan’s bowlers set up the victory by dismissing the West Indies for 117 in their second innings on the fourth day. Spinners Sajid Khan and Ali Usman claimed four wickets each.

The West Indies resumed the day on 103-6 but lost their remaining wickets for just 14 more runs. Injured opener Brandon King did not bat due to a back injury.

The victory marked Pakistan’s first away Test win since defeating Sri Lanka in 2023.

Pakistan posts 387, secures first-innings lead over West Indies

Pakistan posts

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad: Pakistan were bowled out for 387 in their first innings on the third day of the second Test against the West Indies on Tuesday, securing a 43-run lead after the hosts posted 344.

Resuming on 266-2, Pakistan built on a solid overnight position through captain Babar Azam and Abdullah Shafique, but the partnership ended when Babar fell for 88 off 147 balls, missing out on a century by 12 runs. His innings included 10 fours and one six.

Pakistan then lost two more wickets in the space of six deliveries before wicketkeeper Mohammad Rizwan added 25 runs with Abdullah Shafique. Rizwan scored 18 before being bowled by Jomel Warrican.

Abdullah Shafique anchored the innings with a composed 153 off 312 balls, while Sajid Khan contributed 30 before Pakistan were dismissed for 387, earning a 43-run first-innings advantage.

Earlier, the West Indies had elected to bat first after winning the toss and were dismissed for 344. Sajid Khan led Pakistan’s bowling attack with four wickets, while Obaid Shah, Mohammad Ali and Ali Usman claimed two wickets each.

The West Indies lead the two-match series 1-0 after winning the opening Test.

West Indies all out for 344 against Pakistan in first innings

West Indies

PORT OF SPAIN: West Indies cricket team were bowled out for 344 in their first innings against Pakistan national cricket team on the opening day of the second Test.

Pakistan were 121 for 2 in 26 overs in their first innings at stumps after bowling out the West Indies for 344 on the opening day of the second Test.

Captain Babar Azam was unbeaten on 19, while Abdullah Shafique remained not out on 32, guiding Pakistan after the early loss of two wickets.

After winning the toss and electing to bat, the hosts posted a competitive total, led by half-centuries from Justin Greaves, who scored 73, and Roston Chase, who made 70.

Brandon King contributed 46 runs, while Shai Hope scored 29 and Amir Jangoo added 26.

For Pakistan, Sajid Khan claimed four wickets, while Ubaid Shah, Mohammad Ali and Ali Raza took two wickets each.

Earlier, West Indies captain Roston Chase opted to bat first after winning the toss. Pakistan captain Babar Azam said his side would also have chosen to bat first and vowed to play positive cricket.

West Indies entered the match with a 1-0 lead in the two-Test series.