BREAKING NEWS
Advertise with us >

South Korea beat Czech Republic 2–1 in FIFA World Cup 2026 clash

South Korea

DOHA: South Korea national football team defeated Czech Republic national football team 2–1 in a FIFA World Cup 2026 match on Friday, coming from behind in the second half after a goalless first period.

Both sides struggled to break the deadlock in the opening 45 minutes, with strong defensive setups keeping scoring chances limited.

The Czech Republic took the lead early in the second half, but South Korea responded with two quick goals to turn the match around and secure all three points.

South Korea’s equalizer came through Wang E-bum in the 67th minute, before the Asian side completed their comeback with a second goal later in the half to seal a 2–1 victory in the group-stage encounter of the FIFA World Cup 2026.

Earlier, the FIFA World Cup 2026 kicked off with a dramatic and record-breaking opening match as hosts Mexico defeated South Africa 2–0 at the iconic Estadio Azteca.

The opening fixture saw Mexico dominate proceedings against South Africa in a high-intensity contest, securing a comfortable victory in front of a home crowd.

However, the match will be remembered not only for the result but also for a rare disciplinary record in World Cup history. For the first time ever in a World Cup opening match, three red cards were shown.

The referee sent off two South African players and one Mexican player during the game, adding an unexpected twist to the tournament’s curtain-raiser.

According to records, there have been only seven instances in FIFA World Cup history where a single match featured three or more red cards. The highest number remains four red cards, issued during the 2006 World Cup clash between Portugal and the Netherlands.

The dramatic opener has set an intense tone for the rest of the tournament.

Trump rebukes Iran over alleged leak of agreement terms

Trump rebukes

WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump has dismissed reports circulating on Iranian state media regarding the contents of a newly announced agreement with Iran, calling them “fake news” and inaccurate.

In a post on his Truth Social platform, Trump said that details being circulated by Iranian media have “nothing to do” with the written agreement reportedly reached between the two sides.

He said Iran had leaked false information about the deal, adding that such claims were misleading and did not reflect the actual terms agreed upon.

Trump also rejected Iranian assertions that a comprehensive agreement was close, calling those statements “weak and unfortunate” and insisting that no such finalization had been reached on those terms.

The US president further criticized Tehran’s negotiating approach, saying Iran had not engaged in good faith discussions and warning that the country should “get its act together quickly.”

Iranian state media had earlier reported that the proposed agreement could include provisions such as the unfreezing of $24 billion in Iranian assets, continued uranium enrichment, and Iranian control over the Strait of Hormuz.

However, Trump rejected these claims, saying they do not represent the official understanding between the two sides.

Iran hints at possible Geneva meeting with US delegation

Iran hints

TEHRAN: Iranian Foreign Ministry sources have said that a meeting between US and Iranian delegations in Geneva is possible as diplomatic efforts continue to move forward.

According to Iranian officials, discussions between the two sides could take place in Geneva to advance negotiations on a broader understanding, provided the process is not disrupted by external interference.

A legal team at Iran’s Foreign Ministry told reporters that progress could be made if efforts by Israel to “derail the process” are avoided, adding that mistrust remains extremely high due to past experiences.

US President Donald Trump earlier suggested that a deal with Iran could be signed by the end of the week at a European venue, although he did not specify the country.

The Iranian side declined to share details of any potential agreement, saying only that outcomes remain uncertain given the fragile nature of negotiations.

Some Western media outlets have referred to the emerging framework as the “Islamabad Agreement,” though there has been no official confirmation of such naming.

Arab media reports also claimed that a Pakistani delegation of legal experts may be present at the signing ceremony, but Pakistan’s Foreign Office has not confirmed or denied the reports at the time of filing.

Diplomatic observers say the situation remains fluid, with both sides maintaining cautious optimism amid deep-seated mistrust.

FIFA World Cup begins in Mexico with colorful ceremony

FIFA World Cup

MEXICO CITY: The FIFA World Cup officially began in Mexico City with a vibrant opening ceremony, marking the start of one of the world’s biggest sporting events.

According to media reports, a two-member Pakistani delegation led by Syed Mohsen Gilani represented Pakistan at the opening ceremony and official dinner.

Mexican President said that football leaders from around the world attended the event and pledged to make the tournament a memorable and exemplary experience, calling it the largest global sporting event hosted in the country.

FIFA President Gianni Infantino thanked Mexican authorities for the grand opening ceremony and expressed appreciation for the efforts of co-host nations United States and Canada in organizing the tournament.

He said that every possible resource would be used to ensure the World Cup is a historic success.

On the sidelines of the event, the Pakistani delegation also held meetings with officials from various international football associations, discussing matters of mutual interest and cooperation in global football development.

Bill Gates makes explosive claim of blackmail in Epstein investigation

Bill Gates

WASHINGTON: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire philanthropist Bill Gates has testified before a U.S. House Oversight Committee regarding his past interactions with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, according to details released following a closed-door hearing.

Gates said in his opening statement that he never saw any indication that Epstein was involved in ongoing criminal activity. He added that he never visited Epstein’s private island, residences, or his Florida home, and rejected suggestions of a close personal relationship.

According to Gates, his first meeting with Epstein took place in 2011 during discussions related to fundraising for philanthropic initiatives. He said Epstein portrayed himself as someone with access to wealthy networks capable of supporting global health projects, which led to a limited number of meetings.

Gates said he cut off all contact with Epstein in December 2014, adding that no philanthropic fund or project materialized from their interactions.

During the testimony, Gates also referenced emails included in investigative documents, alleging that Epstein attempted to pressure him using personal information related to his private life. Gates said these matters were unrelated to their meetings but acknowledged they caused distress to his family.

He said later-released documents suggest Epstein tried to regain contact by using misleading claims and personal details, but was unsuccessful. Gates described meeting Epstein as a “major mistake” and said he regrets any perception that the relationship gave Epstein legitimacy.

The testimony is part of a broader congressional investigation into Epstein’s connections with influential political, business, and social figures, and whether any individuals helped shield him from accountability.

Committee Chairman James Comer said Gates was questioned about Epstein and his associate Ghislaine Maxwell, but clarified that Gates is not accused of any illegal activity.

Epstein was accused of running a long-standing sex trafficking network involving underage girls. He died in a New York jail in 2019 while awaiting federal trial; his death was ruled a suicide. The case continues to generate public scrutiny and political debate in the United States.

US imposes sanctions on 9 Iranian individuals and entities

US imposes

WASHINGTON: The United States has imposed sanctions on nine individuals and entities in Iran, the U.S. Treasury Department said.

According to the Treasury, the measures target Iran’s Ministry of Defense, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), and Iranian armed forces over their alleged involvement in facilitating weapons procurement.

The department said the action is part of ongoing efforts to disrupt networks that assist Iran in acquiring military equipment, adding that such operations will continue.

Separately, U.S. President Donald Trump posted on his social media platform Truth Social, claiming that Iran’s military had been “completely destroyed” and that key branches, including its navy and air force, were effectively non-functional.

He further said Iran had delayed negotiations on a deal that could have been favorable and warned that it would now “pay the price.”

Saibzada Farhan named captain of Pakistan T20 team for Asian Games

Saibzada Farhan

LAHORE: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has announced a 15-member squad for the Asian Games 2026, with Saibzada Farhan appointed as captain of the national T20 side.

According to the PCB, the men’s T20 International competition at the Asian Games will begin on September 24 in Aichi, Japan, with medal matches scheduled for October 3.

Abdul Samad has been named vice-captain of the squad.

Farhan, 30, has represented Pakistan in 46 T20 internationals, scoring 1,305 runs, including two centuries and 10 half-centuries.

Several players, including Aaqif Javed, Ali Raza, Mauaz Sadaqat, and Saad Masood, are set to make their T20 international debuts.

The squad includes Saibzada Farhan (captain), Abdul Samad (vice-captain), Abrar Ahmed, Ahmed Daniyal, Aaqif Javed, Ali Raza, Arafat Minhas, Haider Ali, Hassan Nawaz, Mauaz Sadaqat, Muhammad Salman Mirza, Saad Masood, Saim Ayub, Sufiyan Muqeem, and Usman Khan.

The PCB said 14 of the 15 players will also participate in a white-ball training camp starting June 15 in Lahore ahead of the tournament.

US considering new strikes on Iran infrastructure

US considering

WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump has said he is considering new strikes on Iranian infrastructure, including power plants and bridges, amid ongoing tensions with Tehran.

According to comments cited by Fox News in a telephone interview, Trump suggested that further military action could be ordered if Iran continues to delay reaching an agreement.

He also posted on his Truth Social platform that Iran’s military had been “completely devastated,” claiming that key branches such as its navy and air force were effectively destroyed.

Trump further said Iran “only talks and does nothing,” describing the country as having been “defeated” and warning that it would “pay the price” for delaying negotiations on what he called a potentially beneficial deal.

Iranian officials have not yet publicly responded to the latest remarks.

Earlier, Iran’s military has claimed it carried out retaliatory operations targeting multiple US military bases and installations across the region following recent American strikes.

In a statement issued by the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC)-linked Khatam al-Anbiya headquarters, Iran said the actions were conducted in response to “US aggression” and warned of a stronger reaction if attacks continue.

Iranian officials claimed that several US positions in the region were targeted, including alleged drone and missile strikes on military sites. They said a telecommunications tower and water tanks in southern Iran’s Sirik area were also damaged in earlier strikes.

The IRGC further claimed that US Fifth Fleet positions in Bahrain were hit by drones, while separate reports in Iranian and Russian media suggested additional attacks on US installations, including bases in Jordan and Kuwait. These claims have not been independently verified.

US and regional authorities have not yet confirmed most of the reported attacks.

Kuwaiti military officials said their air defense systems were actively responding to threats and monitoring national airspace amid heightened tensions.

The developments come as escalating hostilities in the Middle East raise international concern, with global actors urging restraint and de-escalation to avoid further conflict.

12 killed in mass shooting near Johannesburg, Police say

12 killed

JOHANNESBURG: At least 12 people were killed in a shooting incident near Johannesburg, South African police said, according to foreign media reports.

Police said the attack took place in an informal settlement on the outskirts of the city, where more than 10 armed men reportedly stormed the area during the night and opened fire on residents.

Three women were among those killed, while nine others were injured and shifted to nearby hospitals for treatment, officials said.

Authorities said the motive behind the attack remains unknown and investigations are ongoing to determine the circumstances of the shooting.

FIFA-selected referee denied entry to US ahead of 2026 World Cup

FIFA-selected

MIAMI: A Somali referee selected by FIFA for the upcoming Football World Cup was denied entry into the United States upon arrival at Miami International Airport and was sent back on a return flight, according to media reports.

Omar Abdulkadir Artan, who was named Africa’s Best Referee of 2025, was reportedly refused entry by U.S. immigration authorities after arriving in Miami. Officials subsequently placed him on a flight back to Türkiye.

Reports said the Somali Embassy had provided Artan with a diplomatic passport before his trip to the United States.

Neither FIFA nor U.S. authorities immediately provided details regarding the reasons for the denial of entry.

The FIFA World Cup is scheduled to begin on June 12 and will be jointly hosted by the United States, Mexico and Canada.

The expanded tournament will feature 48 teams for the first time in World Cup history. The participating nations have been divided into 12 groups of four teams each, with a total of 104 matches set to be played during the competition.