BREAKING NEWS
Advertise with us >

Bangladesh’s Nahid Rana wins ICC player of the month award

Bangladesh’s Nahid

DUBAI: Bangladesh fast bowler Nahid Rana, who impressed with a standout performance against Pakistan in the first Test match, has been named the ICC Player of the Month for April.

The International Cricket Council (ICC) announced the monthly award, recognizing Rana’s exceptional bowling displays in recent international fixtures.

According to details, the young pacer delivered a brilliant performance in the ODI series against New Zealand in April, taking eight wickets in three matches and playing a key role in his team’s success.

Rana had earlier also showcased his talent during the ODI series against Pakistan in March, where he once again claimed eight wickets, establishing himself as a rising force in international cricket.

This marks the first time Nahid Rana has won the ICC Player of the Month award. He has also become only the second male cricketer from Bangladesh to achieve this honor after Mehidy Hasan Miraz.

It is worth noting that Rana produced a match-winning spell in the second innings of the first Test against Pakistan, turning what appeared to be a drawn contest into a memorable victory for Bangladesh.

Receiving Pakistan’s civil award is honor beyond words, says Afridi

Receiving Pakistan

ISLAMABAD: Former Pakistan cricket captain Shahid Afridi said that receiving the Hilal-i-Imtiaz from the President of Pakistan is a great honor and a recognition shared by the entire nation.

In a post on X , Afridi shared a photograph with his wife and daughter and expressed gratitude for the love, prayers, and support he has received throughout his career.

“This is not just Shahid Afridi’s honor, but an honor for the entire Pakistani nation. It is your love, prayers, and support that brought me to this point,” he wrote.

Afridi dedicated the award to the martyrs who sacrificed their lives for the country, adding, “May Allah always protect Pakistan.”

Earlier in the day, President Asif Ali Zardari conferred the Hilal-i-Imtiaz on Shahid Afridi during a special investiture ceremony at the Aiwan-e-Sadr in recognition of his outstanding services to sports.

Trump arrives in Beijing for two-day state visit to China

Trump arrives

BEIJING: US President Donald Trump arrived in Beijing on Wednesday for a two-day state visit, where he is expected to hold high-level talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping on bilateral ties, trade, and regional security.

According to US media reports, Chinese Vice President Han Zheng received President Trump upon his arrival in the Chinese capital.

Also present at the airport were the US ambassador to China, China’s ambassador to the United States, and Executive Vice Foreign Minister Ma Zhaoxu.

Nearly 300 Chinese youths waving American and Chinese flags were also present to welcome the US president.

Members of Trump’s delegation included his son Eric Trump, daughter-in-law Lara Trump, and Elon Musk.

Chinese media reported that Trump and Xi Jinping are scheduled to hold several detailed meetings during the visit.

Before departing for Beijing, Trump told reporters that he intended to discuss the Iran conflict in depth with Xi and would urge China to further open its markets to American businesses.

In a statement, China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs welcomed the visit, saying the two leaders would exchange views on bilateral relations as well as key issues related to global peace and development.

The ministry said China is prepared to strengthen ties with the United States on the basis of equality, mutual respect, and shared interests.

Talking to the media, Mushahid Hussain Syed said the visit carries significant importance, with expectations of concrete decisions on trade, tariffs, and regional stability.

He noted that both China and Pakistan favor a permanent end to the Iran conflict rather than a temporary ceasefire, and expressed hope that Trump’s visit could contribute to positive diplomatic progress.

Mushahid Hussain added that both Washington and Beijing have substantial shared economic interests, making the visit a potentially pivotal moment in US-China relations.

Australia joins UK–France led maritime security mission in Strait of Hormuz

Australia joins

SYDNEY: Australia has announced that it will join a multinational maritime security mission led by the United Kingdom and France to safeguard shipping in the Strait of Hormuz, according to international media reports.

Australian Defence Minister Richard Marles said after a meeting of defence officials from more than 40 countries that Australia will contribute an E-7A Wedgetail surveillance aircraft to the mission.

He added that the aircraft is already deployed in the region, where it is supporting the protection of the United Arab Emirates from potential drone attacks.

Marles described the initiative as a “free and purely defensive multinational military mission” led by the UK and France aimed at ensuring maritime security in the strategically important waterway.

Earlier, the United Kingdom announced that it would deploy drones, fighter jets, warships, and mine-hunting equipment as part of the same multinational effort to secure shipping lanes in the Strait of Hormuz.

UK Defence Secretary John Healey made the announcement during a virtual meeting with defence ministers from over 40 countries, stating that the mission would be activated under appropriate conditions.

He said the operation would be defensive, sovereign, and effective, carried out in coordination with allied nations.

Britain has also allocated £115 million in additional funding for mine-hunting drones and counter-drone systems under the initiative.

The British deployment includes advanced autonomous mine-hunting systems capable of detecting and neutralizing naval mines, as well as the Royal Navy’s “Beehive” system, which operates with high-speed unmanned “Kraken” drone boats for surveillance and threat response.

Typhoon fighter jets will also be deployed for aerial patrols over the Strait of Hormuz, along with Royal Navy mine-clearing specialists.

Additionally, HMS Dragon has already been deployed to the Middle East, with its crew receiving enhanced training to ensure operational readiness for any potential mission requirements.

Iran preserves 70% of missile strength despite US strikes: report

Iran preserves

WASHINGTON: The New York Times has reported that classified assessments by US intelligence agencies indicate Iran has preserved much of its missile capability despite recent American strikes.

According to the report, the findings contradict claims by the administration of US President Donald Trump that US attacks had severely degraded Iran’s military strength.

The report states that Iran has regained access to 30 of its 33 missile bases located near the Strait of Hormuz, potentially restoring threats to US naval vessels and oil tankers transiting the vital shipping route.

Despite damage to some facilities, intelligence sources said Iran retains the ability to move missiles using mobile launchers, while certain bases remain capable of launching missiles directly. Only three missile bases are believed to be fully inoperable.

US intelligence assessments further suggest that Iran still possesses around 70 percent of its pre-war mobile missile launchers and missile stockpiles, including both ballistic and cruise missiles.

Based on satellite imagery and other surveillance data, analysts estimate that Iran has also regained access to nearly 90 percent of its underground missile storage sites and launch facilities, many of which remain partially or fully operational.

The report indicates that US officials may have overestimated the damage inflicted on Iran’s missile infrastructure and underestimated Tehran’s ability to restore and redeploy strategic assets quickly.

Litton Das’ comments on Mohammad Rizwan go viral

Litton Das’ comments

MAIRPUR: Cricketer Litton Das has found himself at the center of social media attention after a video surfaced online allegedly showing him making remarks about Pakistan wicketkeeper-batter Mohammad Rizwan.

The incident came shortly after Bangladesh, led by Najmul Hossain Shanto, secured a memorable 104-run victory over Pakistan national cricket team in the first Test, taking a 1–0 lead in the two-match series.

The win marked Bangladesh’s third consecutive victory over Pakistan, continuing their strong recent record against the Shan Masood-led side. The last time both teams met in 2024, Bangladesh had also claimed a 2–0 Test series win.

In the viral clip, Litton Das can allegedly be heard making critical remarks about Mohammad Rizwan’s reputation in Pakistan, suggesting that the wicketkeeper-batter’s standing in the country has declined and referencing his struggles with form.

The comments have sparked widespread debate on social media, with users sharing mixed reactions to the video.

Meanwhile, Mohammad Rizwan’s recent form has been under scrutiny. He has experienced a dip in performance over the past few years and has also lost the captaincy role. Reports indicate that his batting average across formats has dropped significantly since 2023.

In the first Test against Bangladesh, Rizwan scored 59 runs in the first innings and 16 in the second, before being dismissed while attempting to accelerate the scoring.

Nauman Ali climbs past Saqlain and Kaneria in 100-test wicket race

Nauman Ali

LAHORE: Test spinner Nauman Ali has achieved a major career milestone by completing 100 Test wickets, surpassing the records of legendary spinners Saqlain Mushtaq and Danish Kaneria in the process.

The left-arm spinner picked up three wickets in the second innings of the first Test against Bangladesh, bringing up his 100-wicket landmark in just his 22nd Test match.

With this achievement, Nauman Ali has moved to third place among Pakistan’s fastest bowlers to reach 100 Test wickets in terms of matches played.

He has also become one of the most efficient spinners in terms of reaching the milestone, further strengthening his position in Pakistan’s Test bowling lineup.

The record for the fastest 100 Test wickets for Pakistan national cricket team is held by Yasir Shah, who achieved the feat in just 17 matches.

He is followed by Saeed Ajmal, who reached the milestone in 19 Tests.

Nauman Ali now sits third on the list, ahead of both Saqlain Mushtaq and Danish Kaneria, who each completed 100 wickets in 23 matches.

100 civilians killed in Nigerian airstrike on crowded market

100 civilians killed

BAUCHI, Nigeria (Reuters): At least 100 civilians were killed in a Nigerian military airstrike on a crowded market in northwest Zamfara State, Amnesty International said on Tuesday, calling for an immediate and independent investigation into the incident.

The airstrike reportedly struck the remote Tumfa market in Zurmi district on Sunday. It is the second deadly strike in less than a month to hit a busy market in northern Nigeria.

Amnesty International said dozens of injured people are being treated in hospitals in Zurmi and nearby Shinkafi, adding that many of the victims were women and girls.

The Nigerian military has not yet responded to requests for comment. However, it has previously denied targeting civilians, stating that its air operations are intelligence-led and aimed solely at militant positions.

According to witnesses cited by Amnesty, military jets were seen hovering over the area around midday before returning approximately two hours later and striking the crowded marketplace.

The latest incident follows a similar airstrike in April, when around 200 civilians were reportedly killed at a weekly market in Jilli, northeastern Nigeria. Authorities had announced an investigation into that earlier attack.

Residents in northern regions have expressed growing concern over repeated civilian casualties linked to military operations against armed groups.

Nigeria’s military has been conducting operations against bandit groups in the northwest and fighting a 17-year-long Islamist insurgency in the northeast. In a separate development, U.S. forces reportedly struck alleged militant bases in northern Nigeria on Christmas Day last year, following accusations by then-President Donald Trump regarding the protection of religious communities.

Amnesty International condemned the airstrike, stating that such incidents reflect a disturbing pattern of human rights violations and disregard for civilian lives, and urged authorities to ensure accountability.

Russia successfully tests new Sarmat intercontinental ballistic missile

Russia successfully

MOSCOW: Russia has successfully conducted a test of its new RS-28 Sarmat intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), according to foreign media reports.

Russian Strategic Missile Forces Commander Sergei Karakayev briefed President Vladimir Putin on the successful launch on Tuesday.

President Putin said Russia plans to formally place the Sarmat missile into military service by the end of this year.

Describing Sarmat as “the world’s most powerful” nuclear-capable missile, Putin said it is capable of striking targets thousands of miles away in the United States and Europe.

In televised remarks, he claimed the missile’s warhead capacity is four times greater than that of comparable Western systems and said its range exceeds 35,000 kilometers.

Putin also asserted that the Sarmat missile can evade all existing and future missile defense systems.

Commander Karakayev said the deployment of launchers equipped with the Sarmat missile system will significantly enhance Russia’s combat readiness and strengthen its strategic deterrence capabilities.

President Trump confident Iran will end uranium enrichment

President Trump

WASHINGTON: US Donald Trump said he is confident that Iran will completely halt uranium enrichment and abandon efforts to develop nuclear weapons.

In his latest remarks, President Trump said he believes Iran will stop uranium enrichment “100 percent” and give up any attempt to acquire nuclear weapons capability.

The U.S. president also stated that the United States would secure Iran’s nuclear waste and emphasized that work on a possible agreement with Tehran must move quickly, although no rushed decision would be made.

Trump said that despite the ongoing blockade, Washington would not act hastily regarding Iran and confirmed that direct contacts had taken place with Iranian officials during the negotiations.

Referring to his comments from the previous day, Trump said the United States had achieved a major military success and that he felt no pressure or frustration over the Iran issue.

He reiterated his claim that the United States would achieve a “complete victory” regarding Iran and suggested that resolving the dispute could lead to lower global oil prices.