BREAKING NEWS
Advertise with us >

UNICEF warns Afghanistan could lose 25,000 female teachers by 2030

UNICEF warns

KABUL: The UNICEF has warned that Afghanistan could face a severe shortage of female professionals if restrictions on girls’ education and women’s employment continue under the Taliban regime.

In a new report, UNICEF stated that around one million girls have already been affected by the restrictions, with the number expected to rise to two million by 2030.

The report further highlighted that Afghanistan may lose up to 25,000 female teachers and approximately 5,400 lady health workers by the end of the decade if current policies remain in place.

Since returning to power in 2021, the Taliban administration has imposed wide-ranging restrictions on women’s employment in government sectors.

Additionally, girls in Afghanistan are barred from receiving education beyond the age of 12, raising serious concerns about the country’s future workforce and social development.

Trump recalls his mother’s ‘crush’ on King Charles

Trump recalls

WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump has shared a personal anecdote, saying his mother had admired King Charles III since his childhood.

Speaking at an event held in honor of King Charles at the White House, Trump said he clearly remembers his mother often remarking that Charles was “very charming.”

“My mother had a crush on Charles can you believe it?” Trump said, drawing attention to her long-standing admiration.

He added that his mother was also fond of Charles’s mother, Queen Elizabeth II, noting that whenever she saw her on television, she would praise her beauty and elegance.

Babar Azam equals PSL record for most runs in a single season

Babar Azam equals

KARACHI: Peshawar Zalmi captain Babar Azam has equalled the record for most runs in a single season of the Pakistan Super League.

During Tuesday’s PSL Qualifier, Babar played a brilliant innings of 103 runs off 59 balls against Islamabad United.

With this performance, Babar Azam has now scored 588 runs in 10 innings in PSL 2026.

He has matched the record previously set by Fakhar Zaman, who scored 588 runs in 13 innings during the 2022 edition.

Notably, Babar still has at least one and possibly two matches remaining, giving him a strong opportunity to surpass the record.

US stresses privacy in sensitive diplomatic engagements with Iran

US stresses privacy

The second round of ceasefire negotiations between the United States and Iran remains stalled amid continued uncertainty, although recent statements from the White House have indicated possible diplomatic progress.

According to international media, White House Deputy Press Secretary Olivia Velez said that sensitive diplomatic discussions with Iran will not be disclosed publicly.

She added that President Donald Trump has made it clear that the United States will prioritize its own conditions in any agreement and will not accept any deal that compromises American interests.

The statement also reaffirmed Washington’s position that Iran must never be allowed to obtain nuclear weapons.

The US and Israel have repeatedly warned Iran to fully halt its uranium enrichment activities, which they believe could potentially lead to nuclear weapons development.

However, Iran maintains its long-standing position that nuclear issues are not part of its current negotiations with the United States, further complicating diplomatic efforts.

Global defence spending rises 2.9% to $2.88 trillion despite US cutbacks: SIPRI report

Global defence

Global military expenditure increased by 2.9 percent in 2025, reaching a record $2,887 billion despite a decline in US defence spending following President Donald Trump’s decision to halt new military aid for Ukraine.

According to data released by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), this marks the 11th consecutive year of growth in global defence spending.

The report states that military expenditure now accounts for 2.5 percent of global GDP, the highest level since 2009.

Analysts say ongoing global conflicts and long-term defence planning by several countries are expected to sustain this upward trend beyond 2026.

The United States, China, and Russia remain the top three defence spenders, together accounting for $1,471 billion—around 51 percent of total global military expenditure.

US defence spending fell to $954 billion in 2025, largely due to the suspension of new Ukraine aid packages. Over the past three years, Washington had provided $127 billion in military assistance to Ukraine.

However, the report notes that the decline may be temporary, as the US Congress has already approved a defence budget exceeding $1 trillion for 2026, with projections suggesting it could rise to $1.5 trillion by 2027.

A significant regional driver of the increase was Europe, where defence spending rose by 14 percent to $864 billion.

In contrast, Israel’s military expenditure declined by 4.9 percent to $48.3 billion following the end of the Gaza conflict in 2025, while Iran’s spending also dropped for a second consecutive year, falling 5.6 percent to $7.4 billion.

US signals tough stance as Rubio says Iran seeks path toward agreement

US signals tough

WASHINGTON: US Secretary of State Marco Rubio has stated that Iranian negotiators appear serious about reaching an agreement with the United States and are looking to move past the current diplomatic deadlock.

In an interview with Fox News, Rubio said that while Iranian negotiators want to resolve the ongoing impasse, he believes the country’s political leadership is “fragmented” and creating obstacles in the negotiation process.

He further claimed that Iran’s leadership is seeking additional time, adding that the country is facing severe economic difficulties, including high inflation, financial strain on state institutions, and challenges in paying salaries.

Rubio also asserted that Iran’s missile capabilities have significantly weakened, claiming reductions in stockpiles and damage to production facilities, along with losses in its air and naval strength.

When asked about the US response if Iran refuses to engage in talks, Rubio said such decisions rest with former President Donald Trump, adding that economic sanctions on Iran are already “extraordinary” and could be further intensified.

He argued that the ongoing tensions have highlighted what he described as the threat posed by Iran, claiming that Tehran seeks to use both its energy resources and strategic position to exert pressure globally an approach he termed unacceptable.

PSL introduces Pashto commentary for the first time

PSL introduces

LAHORE: The Pakistan Super League (PSL) will feature Pashto commentary for the first time, marking a significant step toward inclusivity and regional engagement.

The initiative has been introduced in collaboration with Peshawar Zalmi, with Pashto commentary set to be streamed on a digital platform during the team’s remaining matches in the tournament.

Peshawar Zalmi will face Islamabad United in the Qualifier. A win will secure their place in the final, while a defeat will send them into the Eliminator.

The grand final of PSL 11 is scheduled to take place on May 3 at Gaddafi Stadium

PCB announces ticket details for PSL 11 qualifier in Karachi

PCB announces

KARACHI: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has released important information regarding tickets for the Pakistan Super League (PSL) Season 11 Qualifier scheduled to be held on April 28 in Karachi.

The playoff stage of the Pakistan Super League Season 11 begins tomorrow, with Peshawar Zalmi set to face Islamabad United in the Qualifier.

Fans can purchase e-tickets for the match through the official PCB ticketing portal. Ticket holders will be able to gain entry by scanning their mobile e-tickets at the stadium or by presenting a printed copy.

The PCB has set a uniform ticket price of Rs500 for all enclosures at National Bank Stadium.

Physical tickets will be available at designated TCS box office counters located at China Ground, opposite the stadium.

According to the PCB, e-ticket sales will begin tonight, while physical tickets will go on sale from tomorrow morning.

Details regarding tickets for the Eliminator matches scheduled in Lahore on April 29 and May 1 will be announced soon.

It is noteworthy that Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif has already approved spectator entry for all PSL 11 playoff matches.

PM Shehbaz allows spectators for all PSL 11 playoff matches

PM Shehbaz

ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif has granted permission for spectators to attend all three playoff matches of the Pakistan Super League (PSL) Season 11.

According to a statement issued by Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Chairman Mohsin Naqvi on X, fans will now be allowed to enter stadiums for playoff fixtures scheduled in Karachi and Lahore.

Mohsin Naqvi further stated that the Prime Minister has directed spectators to use public transport when traveling to stadiums to ensure smooth arrangements and avoid congestion.

Earlier, the Prime Minister had approved spectator entry for the PSL 11 final. The latest decision extends this permission to all playoff matches.

Prior to this, Mohsin Naqvi also met the Prime Minister to discuss the overall security situation and arrangements for fan attendance during PSL matches. The Prime Minister expressed satisfaction over security measures in place during the ongoing regional diplomatic developments.

The playoff stage begins tomorrow, with Peshawar Zalmi set to face Islamabad United in the Qualifier in Karachi. The first Eliminator will be played in Lahore between Hyderabad Kingsmen and Multan Sultans, followed by the second Eliminator on May 1 at the same venue.

The grand final of PSL 11 is scheduled for May 3 at Gaddafi Stadium.

Amir, Faheem fined for code of conduct breach in PSL 11 clash

Amir

LAHORE:  Mohammad Amir and Faheem Ashraf have been fined for breaching the code of conduct during the 34th match of the Pakistan Super League Season 11.

The incident occurred during the match between Islamabad United and Rawalpindiz’s side, where the two players were involved in a heated exchange.

The altercation began after Faheem Ashraf was dismissed off a delivery by Mohammad Amir. Amir gestured the batter to walk back, prompting a reaction from Faheem, who moved towards him. The situation briefly escalated before teammates intervened and separated the two.

Following the incident, the match referee imposed a fine of 10 percent of the match fee on each player for violating the code of conduct. Both cricketers accepted their mistake.