BREAKING NEWS
Advertise with us >

Cristiano Ronaldo reportedly set to marry Georgina Rodriguez on Aug 8

Cristiano Ronaldo

LISBON: Star footballer Cristiano Ronaldo is reportedly set to marry his longtime partner, Georgina Rodríguez, in Portugal later this week, according to foreign media reports.

Reports said the couple is expected to tie the knot on Aug. 8 on the Portuguese island of Madeira, Ronaldo’s birthplace, where he spent his childhood. However, neither Ronaldo nor Rodríguez has officially confirmed the wedding plans.

According to a British magazine, the wedding ceremony is expected to take place at Funchal Cathedral before guests attend a reception at a luxury five-star hotel.

The report also said two floors of the hotel and several bars will be closed on Friday and Saturday, fueling speculation that the venue is being prepared for the couple’s wedding celebrations.

Portuguese media had previously reported that Ronaldo planned to marry after the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

Ronaldo and Rodríguez first met in 2016 and announced their engagement in August 2025. The couple have five children together. Ronaldo has previously said that his eldest daughter played an important role in encouraging him to propose to Rodríguez.

Trump says Gulf States backed diplomatic path with Iran

Trump says

WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump said he canceled plans for a major military strike on Iran after appeals from Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar and Iran, saying he preferred diplomacy over conflict.

Speaking to reporters, Trump said he decided to halt the operation following requests from countries in the region, adding that the planned attack would have been the largest against Iran since World War II.

“I don’t want to kill people. My preference is to reach an agreement,” Trump said, adding that several U.S. allies in the Middle East also favor a diplomatic solution rather than military action.

The US president said negotiations with Iran were scheduled to begin later in the day and that contacts were taking place under an agreed negotiating framework.

Trump also said an agreement regarding the Strait of Hormuz was already in place and expressed confidence that a deal on Iran’s nuclear program could also be reached.

He warned, however, that if the negotiations fail, tensions in the region could escalate further.

Fuel theft surges across UK as rising prices drive daily losses

Fuel theft

LONDON: Petrol stations across the United Kingdom are losing an estimated £200,000 worth of fuel every day as thefts have risen sharply amid higher fuel prices, according to industry data.

Analysis by fuel theft prevention company Forecourt Eye found that incidents of drivers leaving petrol stations without paying increased by 20% in the five months following the onset of the Iran-related fuel crisis, compared with the previous five-month period.

The company said higher fuel prices have pushed the daily value of stolen petrol up by 48% to an average of £194,000 across the UK’s 8,359 petrol stations.

Forecourt Eye reported a 23% increase in first-time fuel theft offenders, while repeat offenders rose by between 17% and 20%. The volume of stolen fuel also increased by 26%, based on reports from 550 representative petrol stations nationwide.

Average petrol prices have climbed to around 160 pence per litre, up 27 pence from pre-crisis levels, while diesel prices have reached 179 pence per litre, an increase of 37 pence.

To help tackle the problem, Forecourt Eye said it will provide free anti-theft technology to customers, including a facial recognition alert system designed to identify suspected fuel thieves.

Petrol Retailers Association Executive Director Gordon Balmer said incidents of abuse against petrol station staff have also increased, despite employees having no control over rising fuel prices.

Former Test captain Younis Khan wants to contribute to Pakistan cricket

Former Test

KARACHI: Former Pakistan Test captain and legendary batsman Younis Khan has said he wants to play his role in the development and stability of Pakistan cricket, stressing that he does not seek power but needs the freedom to work effectively.

Speaking to media during the inauguration ceremony of the Younis Khan Academy at KHA Legend Arena in Gulshan-e-Iqbal, Karachi, Younis said he wanted to discover and nurture talented cricketers from the city.

“I do not need power; I only want to contribute to the progress of Pakistan cricket. Whatever responsibility I take, I should not be restricted,” Younis said.

He added that the academy would help produce talented players who could represent Pakistan at the highest level. He said his aim was to serve the country through cricket and help Pakistan regain a top position in the sport.

Younis clarified that seeking a role in cricket administration was not about authority but about having an independent working environment. He said he wanted to build a team that could take effective steps for the promotion and strengthening of cricket.

Recalling his journey, Younis said that although he originally belonged to Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, he spent most of his life in Karachi and had strong ties with the city’s Malir area. He recalled travelling on bus rooftops during his early days to pursue cricket and credited former Test captain Rashid Latif for his guidance and support.

Younis said he had never believed in politics or manipulation but had always raised his voice for truth and fairness. He added that everyone should contribute to Karachi’s development and that he wanted to bring forward hidden cricket talent from the city to help serve Pakistan in the future.

FIFA withdraws ‘FIFA Forward Enterprise’ project after concerns

FIFA withdraws

ZURICH: FIFA President Gianni Infantino has announced the withdrawal of the proposed “FIFA Forward Enterprise” project, saying the initiative had created divisions within football and was no longer in the best interest of the sport.

In a statement, Infantino said the project was dependent on securing support from the majority of FIFA member associations. After considering the views of all stakeholders, FIFA decided not to proceed with the proposal.

The FIFA president said the organisation’s mission has always been to promote unity and improve football globally.

He added that FIFA would work to bring all relevant parties back to the discussion table and continue its efforts to develop football in countries in need.

Infantino confirmed that the FIFA Forward Enterprise project has been officially abandoned and that no further progress would be made on the proposals.

The announcement came after FIFA faced criticism and objections over the proposed project, prompting the governing body to issue clarifications regarding its objectives and structure.

UK imposes emergency measures as severe drought triggers water restrictions

UK imposes

LONDON: The United Kingdom has introduced emergency measures amid severe drought conditions and growing concerns over water shortages, with restrictions imposed on water usage across several areas.

According to reports, more than 20 million people in the UK have been affected by restrictions on the use of garden hoses, including residents in London.

Authorities have banned the use of hoses for watering gardens, washing vehicles, and filling swimming pools as part of efforts to conserve water supplies.

Violators of the hosepipe restrictions could face fines of up to £1,000, officials said. The measures come after prolonged heatwaves and below-average rainfall placed significant pressure on water reservoirs.

Several regions, including the Thames Valley, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Devon, Cornwall, Wessex, and West Midlands, have been affected by drought conditions.

Experts warned that if rainfall does not return soon, the water shortage could worsen, creating serious impacts on agriculture, the environment, and daily life.

US warns citizens in Middle East to stay alert

US warns

WASHINGTON: The United States has issued a security alert for its citizens in the Middle East, warning that the regional situation could deteriorate unexpectedly amid rising tensions.

Through its embassies in countries including Israel, Bahrain, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates, the US advised citizens to remain cautious and be prepared for possible departure or evacuation if conditions worsen.

The advisory said the security situation in the region remains unstable and urged Americans to exercise increased vigilance. Citizens were also advised to prepare for possible flight cancellations, temporary airspace closures, and travel disruptions.

The US Embassy in Oman said some airlines had delayed the resumption of scheduled flights, while certain routes had been cancelled.

It advised Americans in the region to consider leaving or be ready to depart quickly if the situation deteriorates.

The advisory also urged US citizens outside the Middle East to reconsider travel to the region and check updated information from airlines and airports if travel is unavoidable.

US diplomatic missions warned that American interests, businesses, and facilities could face potential threats, noting that previous attacks on US diplomatic sites and interests had occurred in different locations.

The US embassies advised citizens to avoid demonstrations and large gatherings, stay away from areas with heavy security presence, monitor local media, and follow instructions issued by local authorities.

Americans were also encouraged to enrol in the US State Department’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates and maintain communication with embassies during emergencies.

Tens of thousands of migrants enter Spain from Morocco

Tens of thousands

MADRID: Nearly 60,000 migrants crossed into Spain’s North African enclave of Ceuta from Morocco in a mass border crossing that left dozens dead, according to Spanish authorities.

Officials said thousands of migrants entered Ceuta by land and sea in one of the largest attempted crossings in recent years. Spanish authorities said 34 people were killed during the incidents linked to the mass crossing.

Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez described the incident as a violation of Spain’s territorial sovereignty, accusing human trafficking networks of encouraging illegal migration by misrepresenting a ruling by Spain’s Supreme Court.

Sánchez said authorities were accelerating the repatriation of migrants who entered Ceuta illegally and thanked Moroccan officials for their cooperation in managing the situation.

Ceuta and Melilla are Spain’s two autonomous enclaves in North Africa and the European Union’s only land borders with Africa, making them key entry points for migrants seeking to reach Europe.

Italy suspends Schengen travel arrangements with Spain after migrant surge

Italy suspends

ROME: Italy has temporarily suspended Schengen free-travel arrangements with Spain following a mass influx of migrants into the Spanish enclave of Ceuta from Morocco, the Italian Interior Ministry said.

Under the temporary measures, travelers arriving in Italy from Spain by air or sea will be required to present passports or other valid travel documents, restoring border identity checks between the two countries.

The move comes after tens of thousands of migrants crossed into Ceuta, Spain’s North African enclave, from Morocco. The large-scale crossing reportedly resulted in dozens of deaths, prompting European authorities to tighten border controls and review migration measures.

The Schengen Agreement allows passport-free travel across most participating European countries by eliminating routine internal border checks.

Member states, however, may temporarily reinstate border controls under exceptional circumstances, including security concerns or major migration events.

Italian authorities did not specify how long the temporary measures would remain in place.

Eight climbers found dead after Broad Peak avalanche

Eight climbers

SKARDU: Rescue teams have recovered the bodies of eight climbers who went missing after an avalanche struck Broad Peak, the world’s 12th-highest mountain in Pakistan’s Karakoram range, while the search continued Saturday for two others still unaccounted for.

Authorities said four more bodies were located during the latest phase of the rescue operation, bringing the total number of recovered climbers to eight.

Three of the bodies recovered earlier were transported by helicopter to Skardu, while efforts to retrieve the remaining victims continued in the difficult high-altitude terrain.

Gilgit-Baltistan Tourism Minister Neiknam Karim said authorities were making every possible effort to locate the two missing climbers, adding that the provincial tourism department was providing logistical support to search and rescue teams.

The international expedition included climbers from the United States, China, Nepal and Oman, as well as Pakistani mountaineer Sohail Sakhi. Several members of the team were reported missing after the avalanche struck Broad Peak earlier this week.

Broad Peak, which rises 8,047 meters (26,401 feet) above sea level in the Karakoram mountain range, is one of Pakistan’s five peaks exceeding 8,000 meters and is regarded as one of the world’s most challenging high-altitude climbing destinations.