BREAKING NEWS
Advertise with us >

US targets Pakistan, 60 other nations with new import tariffs

US targets

WASHINGTON: The United States has imposed new tariffs ranging from 10% to 12.5% on imports from more than 60 trading partners, including Pakistan, citing their failure to effectively prevent the import and trade of goods produced through forced labor.

The new tariffs took effect on July 24, with imports from Pakistan and several other countries subject to a 10% tariff, according to the U.S. administration.

The move marks the latest effort by President Donald Trump to revive his global tariff agenda. Earlier, in February 2026, the U.S. Supreme Court struck down the implementation of additional tariffs ranging from 10% to 50% that had been imposed under Trump’s earlier trade policy.

The latest measures have been introduced under Section 301 of the U.S. Trade Act, with US officials saying the affected countries have failed to adequately enforce laws prohibiting imports made with forced labor.

Countries facing the 10% tariff include Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, the United Kingdom, Canada, Cambodia, Indonesia, Jordan, Malaysia, Mexico, Sri Lanka, Argentina, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Trinidad and Tobago, while imports from another 38 countries will be subject to a 12.5% tariff.

The US administration said the new duties do not apply to imports such as crude oil, natural gas, certain agricultural commodities, and fertilizers. Products already covered under Section 232 national security tariffs, including steel, aluminum, automobiles, and copper, are also exempt.

Several US trading partners, including Australia and Brazil, criticized the decision as unfair and said they would seek its reversal, while Norway rejected the allegations, calling the tariffs unjustified.

175 World Cup visitors apply for asylum in Canada, officials say

175 World Cup

OTTAWA: A total of 175 foreign nationals who traveled to Canada to attend FIFA World Cup matches have applied for asylum, according to Canadian authorities.

Canada hosted 13 World Cup matches and issued approximately 26,000 visitor visas for the tournament. Officials said more than half of all visa applications received for the event were rejected.

Authorities said the 175 asylum claims will be assessed individually under Canada’s immigration and refugee laws. They did not disclose how many of the applicants, if any, were football players or members of official delegations.

Available government data showed that 25 applicants are Ghanaian nationals, while 15 each are from Egypt and Colombia. Officials added that the number of asylum applications could increase as more claims are submitted.

Before the tournament, the Canadian government warned that visitor visas issued for the FIFA World Cup could not be used as a pathway to permanent residence or guaranteed asylum. It said all protection claims would be evaluated solely in accordance with Canadian law.

Pakistan to tour England for five-match ODI series ahead of 2027 World Cup

Pakistan

LAHORE: Pakistan will tour England in May 2027 for a five-match One-Day International (ODI) series, providing both teams with valuable preparation ahead of the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup later that year.

The series will be played from May 15 to May 26, 2027, with matches scheduled in Southampton, Manchester, Leeds, Chester-le-Street, and Cardiff.

The opening ODI will be held in Southampton on May 15, followed by matches in Manchester on May 19, Leeds on May 21, Chester-le-Street on May 23, and the fifth and final ODI in Cardiff on May 26.

The series is expected to serve as an important tune-up for the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2027, which is scheduled to take place from October 4 to November 21, 2027, across South Africa, Zimbabwe, and Namibia.

Pakistan is currently ranked fifth in the ICC Men’s ODI rankings, while England sits seventh. Pakistan last toured England for an ODI series in 2021, when the two sides contested a three-match series.

Rubio warns Iran will pay ‘heavier price’ if tensions persist

Rubio warns

MANILA: US Secretary of State Marco Rubio warned that Iran would face increasingly severe consequences if it continues on its current course, saying President Donald Trump’s policy is based on strong retaliation against hostile actions.

Speaking to reporters in Manila, Rubio said the United States had honored its commitments in past negotiations with Iran but claimed Tehran is currently unwilling to reach a new agreement. He added that Iran could still change its position in the coming days but warned that “every passing night” would carry a heavier cost if the situation remains unchanged.

Rubio also alleged that Iran continues to seek both direct and indirect channels for negotiations with Washington. He accused Iran’s leadership of prioritizing support for groups including Hezbollah, Hamas and the Houthis instead of focusing on economic development, arguing that the country has the potential to become one of the wealthiest in the Middle East.

Commenting on regional security, Rubio said Iran had drawn the Houthis into the broader conflict and expressed hope that attacks on shipping in the Red Sea would cease.

 He also described Saudi Arabia as a key U.S. strategic partner, saying a civilian nuclear agreement with the kingdom would include strict safeguards and require congressional approval.

On international issues, Rubio reiterated that the United States would not join the International Criminal Court, criticizing the institution and saying it would have no jurisdiction over U.S. citizens.

Addressing the war in Ukraine, Rubio said the conflict has caused extensive bloodshed and that Ukraine has paid a heavy price. He said the United States remains prepared to play a constructive role in efforts to end the war. Rubio also said Washington seeks stable and positive relations with China.

France reports more than 5,700 excess deaths during heatwave

France reports

PARIS: France recorded more than 5,700 excess deaths during a severe heat wave that swept across the country between June 17 and July 2, according to the country’s national public health agency.

French health authorities said 5,764 excess deaths were recorded during the period, representing a 36% increase over expected mortality levels.

The agency reported that 21,674 people died from all causes during the two-week period, compared with an expected 15,910 deaths under normal conditions. Public health experts classify the difference as excess mortality associated with the heat wave.

The figures underscore the growing impact of extreme temperatures on public health. Authorities noted that the number of excess deaths recorded in just over two weeks this year exceeded the 5,722 excess deaths reported during the entire summer of the previous year.

Officials continue to monitor the effects of extreme heat as Europe faces increasingly frequent and intense heat waves linked to climate change.

Spain climbs to No. 1 in FIFA rankings after World Cup triumph

Spain climbs

NEW YORK: Spain has climbed to the top of the FIFA men’s world rankings following its unbeaten run to the 2026 FIFA World Cup title, while Pakistan remains near the bottom of the standings at 199th place.

The updated rankings, released after the World Cup, show Spain moving from second to first after gaining a tournament-high 121.17 ranking points. World Cup runner-up and 2022 champion Argentina dropped to second, while France and England retained third and fourth places, respectively.

Brazil moved up one position to fifth despite being eliminated by Norway in the Round of 16. Morocco reached a historic sixth place after its quarterfinal appearance, while Portugal slipped two places to seventh.

Belgium climbed to eighth despite its quarterfinal defeat to eventual champion Spain. The Netherlands ranked ninth, followed by Mexico in 10th place.

Among the biggest movers, Tunisia fell 12 places to 57th after losing all three of its Group F matches at the World Cup. Panama recorded the largest points loss, dropping to 44th after finishing without a win in Group L.

In Asia, Iran is ranked 22nd, Egypt 24th, India 138th and Ethiopia 143rd. Afghanistan occupies 177th place, Bangladesh is 181st and Sri Lanka 187th.

Pakistan is ranked 199th among FIFA’s 210 member associations, while San Marino remains at the bottom of the global rankings.

Rahul Gandhi, Priyanka Gandhi detained during Congress protest

Rahul Gandhi

NEW DELHI: Indian opposition leaders Rahul Gandhi and Priyanka Gandhi were detained by police during a Congress Party protest outside Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s residence in New Delhi over alleged police action against students.

Congress leaders staged the demonstration to protest what they described as police brutality against students and demanded the resignation of Prime Minister Modi and Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan over the handling of the issue.

Police later moved to disperse the protesters and detained Rahul Gandhi, Priyanka Gandhi and several other Congress leaders, according to local media reports.

Before his detention, Rahul Gandhi condemned what he described as excessive police force against unarmed Congress workers and students. He alleged that the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) had gained undue influence over India’s education system and said students protesting in New Delhi were raising legitimate concerns about their future and the state of education in the country.

He also criticized the use of tear gas and baton charges against demonstrators, calling the police action “shameful” and “undemocratic.”

Meanwhile, the Delhi High Court declined an urgent hearing on a petition challenging the alleged police violence during the student protest. Indian media reported that the court scheduled the matter for a regular hearing on Wednesday and remarked that the judiciary should not be unnecessarily drawn into the issue.

Videos and images circulating on social media purportedly show clashes between police and demonstrators during protests at Jantar Mantar in New Delhi, where thousands of students had gathered to press their demands.

Trump prepares new import tariffs on dozens of countries this week

Trump prepares

WASHINGTON: President Donald Trump is preparing to impose new import tariffs on dozens of countries this week as a temporary 10% global tariff is set to expire, according to a report by a British newspaper.

The report said the temporary tariff is due to lapse on Friday, after which the administration could implement a new round of import duties. Most countries are expected to remain subject to the existing 10% tariff initially, while the Trump administration is also working to establish the legal basis for imposing higher tariff rates.

The move follows the administration’s decision a day earlier to impose a 50% tariff on Canadian automobiles and other goods, with the measure scheduled to take effect next month.

The administration’s latest tariff plans come months after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled on Feb. 20, 2026, that Trump’s permanent tariff regime was unconstitutional.

The court specifically struck down tariffs imposed under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA), finding that Congress had not granted the president authority under the law to impose such duties.

Following that ruling, Trump invoked Section 122 of the Trade Act to implement a temporary 15% global tariff. Under the statute, such tariffs may remain in effect for only 150 days, with the current authority set to expire on July 24, 2026.

The administration is now seeking alternative legal mechanisms to maintain or expand its tariff policy as the temporary authority nears its expiration.

Mediators propose 10-day ceasefire between US and Iran

Mediators propose

WASHINGTON: Qatar, Egypt, Pakistan and several other regional mediators have proposed a 10-day ceasefire between the United States and Iran in an effort to ease escalating tensions and reopen the Strait of Hormuz, according to a report by Axios.

The report said President Donald Trump has reached a critical juncture in the conflict, with U.S. and Israeli officials believing only two viable options remain: pursuing a new 10-day ceasefire initiative aimed at restoring maritime traffic through the Strait of Hormuz, or launching a major joint military campaign with Israel to pressure Iran into surrendering.

Trump has not made a final decision, Axios reported, citing U.S. officials who said the coming days will determine which path is taken as the prolonged conflict becomes increasingly difficult to sustain.

Two regional sources familiar with the mediation efforts told Axios that Qatar, Egypt, Pakistan and other intermediaries presented the ceasefire proposal to both Washington and Tehran.

US officials said the Trump administration is reviewing the proposal, although neither the United States nor Iran has accepted it. Both sides are reportedly seeking to strengthen their negotiating positions through continued military strikes before considering a ceasefire.

Axios also reported that despite 10 consecutive days of bombing, Iran’s influence over the Strait of Hormuz has not been eliminated, while rising gasoline prices in the United States are fueling growing domestic opposition to the conflict.

According to a regional source, ceasefire efforts were making progress on Saturday before an Iranian missile strike in Jordan killed two U.S. service members, prompting Washington to harden its stance. A senior US official confirmed that diplomatic contacts remain ongoing but said Trump has not yet completed the planned response against Iran, adding that retaliatory operations would continue until the president decides otherwise.

A regional source told Axios that mediators are seeking a durable solution, stressing that while Iran cannot dictate the terms of any agreement, it also cannot be excluded from the process.

Lamine Yamal’s girlfriend’s World Cup tribute goes Viral after Spain’s victory

Lamine Yamal

MADRID: A social media post by Lamine Yamal’s girlfriend, Inés García, has gone viral after Spain’s victory over Argentina in the 2026 FIFA World Cup final.

Following Spain’s 1-0 win, García shared a photo of herself with Yamal holding the World Cup trophy and congratulated the Spanish star on social media.

“Congratulations, my love. You are a world champion,” she wrote. Yamal later responded with a message saying, “I love you.”

https://www.instagram.com/p/Da_udepNbp4/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

The exchange quickly gained traction online, with fans widely sharing the posts and many describing García as Yamal’s “lucky charm” following Spain’s historic World Cup triumph.

Spain manager Luis de la Fuente also praised Yamal’s performances throughout the tournament, commending the young winger for his contribution to Spain’s successful World Cup campaign.