BREAKING NEWS
Advertise with us >

Shaheen Afridi reaches 400 international wickets during Dhaka Test

Shaheen Afridi

DHAKA: Fast bowler Shaheen Shah Afridi achieved another major milestone in his career by completing 400 international wickets during Pakistan’s ongoing Test against Bangladesh national cricket team in Dhaka.

The 25-year-old fast bowler reached the landmark on the fourth day of the Test when he dismissed Mominul Haque.

Shaheen became only the fifth Pakistani fast bowler to claim 400 international wickets, joining an elite list that includes Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, Imran Khan, Shoaib Akhtar and Umar Gul.

Overall, he is the ninth Pakistani bowler to reach the 400-wicket mark across all formats. Among the spinners who previously achieved the feat are Shahid Afridi, Saqlain Mushtaq and Saeed Ajmal.

Shaheen accomplished the milestone in his 211th international appearance and now ranks ninth on Pakistan’s all-time list of leading wicket-takers across all formats.

Mexico faces backlash over early school year end ahead of FIFA World Cup

Mexico faces

Mexico City: Mexican authorities have announced that the academic year will end more than a month early as the country prepares to host matches of the upcoming FIFA World Cup 2026, a decision that has sparked widespread criticism from parents, educators, and policy experts.

Education Secretary Mario Delgado said the school year would conclude on June 5, approximately 40 days earlier than scheduled, citing both extreme weather conditions and logistical preparations for the global football tournament.

“We’re going to end the school year on June 5 because many states are already experiencing high temperatures, and there is also the issue of the World Cup,” Delgado said during an event in the northern state of Sonora.

He added that authorities are also considering advancing the start of the next academic year, currently set for August 31, to adjust the national education calendar around the tournament.

The FIFA World Cup 2026, jointly hosted by Mexico, the United States, and Canada, is scheduled to begin on June 11, with Mexico’s opening match against South Africa set to take place in Mexico City.

However, the announcement quickly triggered controversy. President Claudia Sheinbaum clarified that the proposal was not yet final.

“There is no definitive calendar yet,” she said at her daily press briefing. “It is important that children do not lose learning time.”

The decision has raised concerns among parents, many of whom now face additional childcare costs during an extended summer break.

Public policy think tank Mexico Evalua warned that the move could negatively impact more than 23 million students, further deepening educational inequalities and reducing already limited learning time.

Business groups also criticized the plan. The Coparmex employers’ association described it as “hasty,” warning of disruptions to family routines and potential effects on workforce productivity.

In a significant pushback, officials in the western state of Jalisco—governed by opposition authorities—announced they would not implement the early closure. Schools there will remain open until June 30 as originally scheduled, except for brief suspensions during World Cup matches hosted in Guadalajara to accommodate logistical arrangements.

Iran to play in World Cup 2026, seeks guarantees from hosts

Iran to play

TEHRAN: Iran national football team has confirmed that it will participate in the FIFA World Cup 2026, while urging host nations the United States, Canada, and Mexico to address its security and logistical concerns.

According to the Football Federation Islamic Republic of Iran, regional tensions and recent political developments had raised uncertainty over the team’s participation.

However, the federation said a final decision has been made and Iran will compete in the tournament.

Federation President Mehdi Taj said Iran has presented 10 conditions to the host countries. These include the uninterrupted issuance of visas for players and officials, respect for Iran’s national flag and anthem, and comprehensive security arrangements for the team.

Iran has also sought assurances that players who may face additional scrutiny due to past affiliations will not encounter visa-related obstacles.

Earlier, FIFA President Gianni Infantino stated that Iran’s matches in the United States would proceed as scheduled.

Iran has been drawn in Group G alongside New Zealand national football team, Belgium national football team, and Egypt national football team. The team is set to play its opening match on June 15 in Los Angeles.

Pakistan reach 179-1 at stumps, trail Bangladesh by 234 runs

Pakistan reach

DHAKA Pakistan national cricket team ended the second day of the first Test against Bangladesh national cricket team on 179 for 1, needing another 234 runs to erase the hosts’ first-innings lead.

Pakistan made a cautious start to their innings after bowling Bangladesh out for 413.

Azaan Awais remained unbeaten on 85, while Abdullah Fazal was not out on 37 at the close of play. The only wicket to fall was that of Imam-ul-Haq, who scored 45 before being dismissed by Mehidy Hasan Miraz.

Earlier, Bangladesh resumed the day with Mushfiqur Rahim on 48 and Litton Das on 8.

Captain Najmul Hossain Shanto led the scoring with a composed 101, while Mominul Haque contributed 91 and Mushfiqur Rahim added 71. Litton Das made 33, Mehidy Hasan Miraz scored 10 and Taijul Islam added 17.

For Pakistan, Mohammad Abbas was the standout bowler, claiming five wickets, while Shaheen Shah Afridi picked up three.

The match remains evenly poised heading into day three, with Pakistan aiming to first wipe out Bangladesh’s lead and then build a substantial advantage.

BCCI issues strict warning to IPL franchises over code of conduct violations

BCCI issues strict

MUMBAI: The Board of Control for Cricket in India has issued a stern warning to all 10 Indian Premier League franchises over repeated violations of security protocols and code of conduct regulations during the tournament.

According to reports, BCCI Secretary Devajit Saikia sent an eight-page directive to franchise owners and officials expressing serious concern over breaches related to discipline, security, and operational procedures.

The board reportedly found that some players and support staff had allowed unauthorized individuals access to hotel rooms without approval from team management. Under the revised guidelines, such access has now been strictly prohibited.

The new rules state that no guest will be allowed to enter players’ or staff members’ hotel rooms without written permission. Any meetings must take place only in hotel lobbies or designated public areas.

The BCCI also warned franchises about potential “honey trap” incidents and other legal or security threats, urging teams to remain vigilant throughout the tournament.

In another major restriction, franchise owners have been barred from interacting with players on the field or inside dugouts during matches, including hugging or engaging in conversations. The board said such activities could negatively affect the match environment and team dynamics.

Meanwhile, following reports of Riyan Parag allegedly vaping inside a dressing room, the board has imposed a complete ban on the use of vapes, e-cigarettes, and other prohibited items during the IPL.

The BCCI warned that strict disciplinary action will be taken against anyone found violating the new regulations.

Shakira returns to FIFA World Cup stage with official 2026 anthem teaser

Shakira returns

Global pop icon Shakira has once again become part of football’s biggest global spectacle, as excitement grows over her newly unveiled official song for the FIFA World Cup 2026.

The Colombian superstar shared a teaser of the upcoming anthem titled “Die Die” across her social media platforms, sparking widespread excitement among football and music fans worldwide. The track features collaboration with Nigerian music star Burna Boy, while the full release is scheduled for May 14.

The music video was filmed at the iconic Maracana Stadium, where Shakira appears alongside vibrant dancers dressed in colors representing various national football teams, capturing the spirit and energy of international football.

The teaser quickly gained massive attention online, attracting millions of views on social media platforms and reviving memories of previous World Cup anthems associated with Shakira.

Shakira’s connection with the FIFA World Cup dates back years. Her 2010 anthem Waka Waka (This Time for Africa) became one of the most iconic World Cup songs ever produced.

She was also part of the 2006 opening celebrations with Hips Don’t Lie and entertained football fans again in 2014 with La La La.

The new teaser also includes glimpses of official footballs from past FIFA World Cups, serving as a tribute to Shakira’s longstanding association with the tournament.

Fans on social media described her return as “iconic,” with many saying the World Cup feels incomplete without Shakira’s music. Some even jokingly suggested that every future FIFA World Cup anthem should permanently belong to her.

The FIFA World Cup 2026 will be jointly hosted by United States, Mexico, and Canada from June 11 to July 19, 2026. The opening match will take place at Estadio Azteca, while the final is scheduled at MetLife Stadium. FIFA is also set to introduce a Super Bowl-style halftime show for the first time in tournament history, with Chris Martin of Coldplay overseeing the musical direction. Analysts believe the 2026 World Cup could become a major celebration of not only football, b

Ronaldo sets historic football record with 100 goals in three major leagues

Ronaldo sets

RIYADH: Cristiano Ronaldo has added another milestone to his legendary career by becoming the first footballer in history to score 100 or more goals in three different major national leagues.

The Portuguese superstar achieved the historic feat during Al Nassr FC’s 4-2 victory over Al Shabab FC in the Saudi Pro League.

Ronaldo reached the landmark in the 75th minute when he converted a pass from Sadio Mane to score his 100th league goal for Al Nassr in just 105 appearances.

Before this achievement, Ronaldo had already scored 103 goals in the Premier League for Manchester United F.C. and an incredible 311 goals in La Liga for Real Madrid CF.

The veteran forward has also netted 81 goals in Serie A and remains the first player to win Golden Boot awards in four different leagues.

Al Nassr FC currently lead the Saudi Pro League standings, with hopes high that Ronaldo will guide the club to both the league title and the AFC Champions League Two trophy this season.

Former captain Wasim Akram joins Karachi-Lahore food debate

Former captain

KARACHI: Former Pakistan captain Wasim Akram has joined the ongoing social media debate over the food cultures of Karachi and Lahore, sharing his humorous and balanced opinion on the rivalry.

In a viral video circulating online, Akram said he had been watching heated discussions on social media regarding which city serves better food.

“I’ve been seeing intense debate between Karachi and Lahore. Swords are out, axes are out, and people are fighting,” he joked.

The former cricketer said he spent 42 years living in Lahore, where he was born, and has now been residing in Karachi for the past 14 years.

Akram acknowledged that Lahore is famous for traditional dishes like nihari and paye, but noted that Karachi’s multicultural population gives the city a wider variety of cuisines.

“In Karachi, people from all communities live together, so restaurants offer food from different cultures and regions,” he said.

He also humorously commented on Lahore’s food, saying he noticed heavy use of spices and cream around the famous food street near Badshahi Mosque.

Concluding the debate, Wasim Akram said, “Karachi has more variety, while Lahore’s food is very good but offers comparatively less variety.”

He ended his remarks jokingly, saying people would now “come after him with shoes” for expressing his opinion.

Babar Azam likely to return for second Test after minor knee injury

Babar Azam

DHAKA: Pakistani top batter Babar Azam is expected to be available for the second Test against Bangladesh national cricket team after medical reports confirmed that his knee injury is not serious.

According to sources, the Pakistan batter actively participated in practice sessions before experiencing discomfort in his left knee during training. Following the complaint, the team management arranged an MRI scan as a precautionary measure.

Sources said Babar was rested for the opening Test purely on precautionary grounds and not due to any major injury concern.

Officials further clarified that the former Pakistan captain did not request rest himself; rather, the decision was taken by the team management to avoid aggravating the injury.

The star batter is now likely to return for the second Test between Pakistan national cricket team and Bangladesh, scheduled to begin on May 16 in Sylhet.

Bangladesh take control on day one of Dhaka Test against Pakistan

Bangladesh take

DHAKA: Bangladesh national cricket team dominated the opening day of the first Test against Pakistan national cricket team in Dhaka with an impressive batting performance.

Bangladesh captain Najmul Hossain Shanto led from the front with a superb century, scoring 101 runs off 130 deliveries to put the hosts in a commanding position.

He was well supported by Mominul Haque, who played a composed innings of 91 runs. Their strong partnership helped Bangladesh recover from early setbacks and build momentum against the Pakistani bowling attack.

Veteran batter Mushfiqur Rahim remained unbeaten on 48 at stumps as Bangladesh finished the first day on 301 for 4.

For Pakistan, Mohammad Abbas, Hasan Ali, Shaheen Shah Afridi, and Noman Ali picked up one wicket each.

The second Test of the series is scheduled to begin on May 16 in Sylhet.

Meanwhile, Babar Azam was unavailable for the match due to a knee injury.