BREAKING NEWS
Advertise with us >

Iran warns of unused advanced weapons amid rising tensions with US

Iran warns

TEHRAN: Iran has issued a strong warning following threats of possible military action from the United States, claiming it possesses advanced weapons that have not yet been used on the battlefield.

According to a Russian news agency report, an Iranian military source said the country has locally developed sophisticated defensive and offensive weapon systems that have neither been deployed nor tested in combat situations so far.

The source warned that Iran would not show restraint if the United States launches another attack, adding that Tehran is fully prepared for any potential escalation.

Iranian officials also reportedly stated that the country faces no shortage of military equipment or defense capabilities and remains fully capable of defending itself against external threats.

The statement comes after US President Donald Trump recently renewed threats of military action against Iran, saying Washington could take strong measures if negotiations fail.

Meanwhile, American and Western officials have continued to express concern over Iran’s missile capabilities and broader military program, while Iran insists its defense activities are solely intended to safeguard national security.

Analysts warn that growing tensions between Iran and the United States could trigger a fresh crisis in the Middle East, particularly raising global concerns over the security of the Strait of Hormuz and the wider Gulf region.

Rizwan likely to be dropped for Australia ODI series

Rizwan likely

LAHORE: Experienced Pakistan wicketkeeper-batsman Mohammad Rizwan is likely to be dropped from the upcoming ODI series against Australia national cricket team as the team management considers trying new wicketkeeping options.

According to reports, the squad for the three-match ODI series is being finalized after consultations between head coach Mike Hesson and captain Shaheen Shah Afridi, with Rizwan’s inclusion appearing increasingly unlikely.

Sources said Hesson is not in favor of retaining Rizwan in the ODI setup after already moving away from him in T20 cricket.

The 33-year-old Rizwan has scored 2,979 runs in 103 ODIs for Pakistan at an average of 40.08, including four centuries and 19 half-centuries. As a wicketkeeper, he has taken 113 catches and completed seven stumpings.

In Pakistan’s three-match ODI series against Bangladesh national cricket team in March 2026, Rizwan managed 58 runs.

Reports further suggested that Ghazi Ghori, who made his debut as a batter in the third ODI against Bangladesh on March 15, 2026, is likely to remain with the squad for the Australia series. One of Usman Khan or Mirza Saad Baig could also be selected as the second wicketkeeper.

The Australian team is scheduled to arrive in Islamabad on May 23, while Pakistan will begin training in Rawalpindi from May 22 and is also expected to play a practice match ahead of the series.

The ODI matches between Pakistan and Australia are scheduled for May 30, June 2 and June 4.

FIFPRO raises fresh concerns over extreme heat at FIFA World Cup

FIFPRO raises

NEW YORK: Global football players’ union FIFPRO has once again expressed concerns over extreme heat risks during the 2026 FIFA World Cup 2026, which will be jointly hosted by the United States, Canada and Mexico.

According to a new report by climate research group World Weather Attribution, nearly one-quarter of the tournament’s matches could be played in conditions where temperatures may pose serious risks to players and spectators.

The report warned that at least five matches in the expanded 104-game tournament could face weather conditions severe enough to warrant postponement recommendations.

Researchers used the Wet Bulb Globe Temperature (WBGT) index to assess heat stress levels, measuring how effectively the human body can cool itself under extreme weather conditions.

FIFPRO Medical Director Vincent Gouttebarge said special safety measures become necessary when WBGT temperatures exceed 26 degrees Celsius, while suspending matches is recommended when levels rise above 28 degrees Celsius.

In response, FIFA said it has already developed plans to protect players and fans, including cooling systems, hydration breaks and enhanced medical services.

Experts believe extreme heat could also affect the style of play, with teams likely to adopt more cautious tactics to manage physical strain.

The report identified cities such as Miami, New York City, Philadelphia and Kansas City among the locations facing the highest heat risk, while warning that temperatures during the tournament final could also reach dangerous levels.

Trump issues stark warning to Iran over nuclear talks

Trump issues

WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump said Iran will either be forced into a deal or face severe consequences, warning of potential military and maritime action if negotiations fail.

Addressing a Coast Guard Academy graduation ceremony, Trump said that the United States had previously been weakened under the Biden administration, but claimed that Iran’s military capabilities, including its navy and air force, had been significantly diminished.

He said Iran would not be allowed to obtain nuclear weapons and claimed Tehran was eager to reach an agreement with Washington.

“If there is no deal, we will carry out strong strikes,” Trump said, adding that the United States could impose a maritime blockade under a plan he referred to as the “Steel Wall,” which he said would be impossible to break.

Trump further warned that the United States could seize additional Iranian oil tankers if an agreement is not reached, saying the situation would depend on whether Iran chooses to sign a deal or face escalation.

Xi Jinping warns of global slide toward ‘Law of the Jungle’ amid high-level talks

Xi Jinping warns

BEIJING: Chinese President Xi Jinping warned that the world faces the risk of sliding back into a “law of the jungle,” urging stronger opposition to unilateral actions and attempts to rewrite history, during high-level talks with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Beijing.

Xi said China and Russia should oppose “unilateral bullying” and work together to promote a fair and reasonable global governance system, according to remarks shared by Chinese state media.

Putin said relations between Russia and China were at an “extraordinary level” and stressed that both countries should support each other’s development. He added that economic ties between the two nations were advancing steadily and described Russia as a reliable energy supplier amid the ongoing Middle East crisis.

Both leaders said their cooperation contributes to global stability and emphasized the need to strengthen economic and strategic coordination.

Xi said the success of China-Russia relations is based on mutual political trust and strategic cooperation, while reiterating concerns about rising global instability.

On the Middle East, Xi stressed the importance of negotiations, calling for an end to fighting, and warned that continued escalation would be “unwise” and could disrupt global energy supplies and trade.

During the meeting, Putin also invited Xi to visit Russia next year, further highlighting deepening diplomatic engagement between the two countries.

Pakistan suffer major blow ahead of Australia ODI series

Pakistan suffer

LAHORE: Pakistan will be without opening batters Fakhar Zaman and Saim Ayub for the upcoming three-match one-day international series against Australia because of injuries, the Pakistan Cricket Board said on Wednesday.

The PCB said both players are continuing their rehabilitation under the supervision of the board’s medical staff and have not yet fully recovered.

To allow them to regain complete fitness, the board has excluded both batters from selection for the ODI series, which begins on May 30.

The PCB wished the two players a speedy recovery and said further updates on the squad and player fitness would be provided in due course.

Australia is scheduled to arrive in Islamabad on May 23.

The ODI series will be played from May 30 to June 4, with matches in Rawalpindi and Lahore.

Shan Masood may offer to step down as Pakistan Test captain after whitewash

Shan Masood

LAHORE: Pakistan test captain Shan Masood may offer to step down following his team’s 2-0 series whitewash against Bangladesh, according to media reports.

Sources said Masood is expected to meet Pakistan Cricket Board Chairman Mohsin Naqvi after returning home and could present his resignation from the captaincy. A final decision on his future will rest with the PCB chairman.

Masood was appointed test captain in 2023. Under his leadership, Pakistan has lost 12 of its 16 test matches, increasing pressure on the 36-year-old batter.

After Pakistan’s 78-run defeat in the second test in Sylhet, Masood apologized to fans and acknowledged the team’s disappointing performances.

“We are deeply disappointed by these results and apologize to the nation for not meeting expectations,” Masood said.

He said Pakistan needed to focus on improving its overall test cricket structure rather than blaming individual players.

Masood declined to comment directly on repeated questions about his captaincy but said he remained committed to helping Pakistan test cricket improve in any role.

Pakistan’s next test assignment is a three-match series in England in July.

UEFA imposes lifetime ban on ex-coach over secret filming of women players

UEFA imposes

NYON: UEFA has imposed a lifetime ban on former coach Petr Vlachovský after finding that he secretly recorded women footballers in dressing rooms and showers.

European football’s governing body said its disciplinary investigation concluded that the 42-year-old coach engaged in unethical conduct and actions that damaged the reputation of the sport.

A court in the Czech Republic last year handed Vlachovský a one-year suspended prison sentence and a five-year coaching ban after convicting him of secretly filming 14 female players.

Police launched an investigation in September 2023 after the hidden recordings surfaced online. Authorities said the coach concealed a camera inside a bag to film players in locker rooms and shower areas. Some of the victims were minors.

UEFA has asked FIFA to extend the ban worldwide to prevent Vlachovský from working in football in any country.

The Football Association of the Czech Republic has also been instructed to revoke his coaching license.

Bangladesh complete historic whitewash of Pakistan with 78-run win

Bangladesh complete

SYLHET: Bangladesh completed a historic 2-0 series sweep over Pakistan after securing a 78-run victory in the second and final test in Sylhet on Wednesday.

Pakistan resumed the fifth and final day needing 121 more runs to chase a target of 437, with three wickets in hand.

The visitors were bowled out for 359, handing Bangladesh victory by 78 runs and sealing its first-ever clean sweep over Pakistan in a two-match test series.

Bangladesh had already taken a 1-0 lead by winning the opening test in Dhaka by 104 runs.

The series result marks a significant milestone for Bangladesh cricket, which produced back-to-back victories against Pakistan in the home series.

Talking to the media, Pakistan captain Shan Masood said his team failed to perform well in both batting and bowling after Bangladesh completed a 2-0 test series sweep.

“We tried our best to win the match, but we did not play well during the first three days,” Masood said after Pakistan’s 78-run defeat in the second and final test in Sylhet.

He said Pakistan worked hard over the last two days but could not capitalize on its efforts, adding that the team was unable to dismiss Bangladesh’s last four batters quickly enough.

“In test cricket, there is no room for mistakes,” Masood said. “We did not perform well in batting and bowling.”

Masood said test cricket requires teams to maintain a high standard over all five days of a match.

After historical won, Bangladesh moved up to fifth place in the ICC World Test Championship standings after completing a 2-0 series sweep over Pakistan.

The series victory lifted Bangladesh above both England and India in the latest standings.

Pakistan remained in eighth place with four points following back-to-back defeats in the two-match series.

Pakistan’s next assignment in the World Test Championship will be a three-test series against England in England.

The series will provide Pakistan with an opportunity to recover ground in the standings after a disappointing tour of Bangladesh.

President Putin arrives in Beijing for state visit

President Putin

BEIJING:  Russian President Vladimir Putin arrived in Beijing on Tuesday for a state visit to China, where he was received by Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi.

The visit, which comes days after U.S. President Donald Trump concluded a trip to China, marks Putin’s 25th official visit to the country, according to Chinese media.

A guard of honour was presented at the airport by Chinese military personnel, while young supporters waved Russian and Chinese flags to welcome the Russian leader.

According to Chinese state media, Putin will stay at the Diaoyutai State Guest House, a traditional venue for hosting foreign dignitaries. His official programme is scheduled to begin Wednesday with a ceremony at Tiananmen Square, followed by talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping.

Chinese media highlighted contrasts in diplomatic protocol between recent visits by Putin and Trump, noting that Trump was received by China’s vice president and stayed at a five-star hotel near the U.S. embassy, with his visit concluding with a tea meeting and working lunch at Zhongnanhai.

Analysts cited by state media said the differences in protocol reflect varying levels of diplomatic relations, with Washington’s ties with Beijing remaining strained compared to what China describes as a closer strategic partnership with Moscow.

Putin’s visit coincides with the 25th anniversary of the China–Russia Treaty of Good-Neighbourliness and Friendly Cooperation, which is widely seen as a foundation of bilateral relations.